Monday, August 8, 2011

Grass-fed

I do not call myself a nutritionist, I am not a doctor, nor am I certified.  I merely pass along information I find from the internet, resources, other people, or my own life's experiences.  One such resource is the blog Mark's Daily Apple.  Mark Sisson, the author of the site, has written many books and has a degree in biology.  He's a little more qualified.  He wrote about a fellow readers confusion about grass-fed whey protein and decided to explain a little bit about why it is more beneficial to get grass-fed products, in particular, grass-fed protein.
  • Grass-fed has better fatty acids.  They contain more omega-3 and more CLA (good fats).  Whey isolate contains no fat at all.
  • Grass-fed has a better micronutrient profile.  It contains more minerals and more vitamins.  Whey isolate does not contain either.
  • Grass-fed tastes better.  I can vouch for this one.  A grass-fed steak tastes great.  It's hard to explain so get one and try for yourself!
Grass-fed foods are great because they are a more complete food.  Your body will get more out of grass-fed beef, fat, and dairy (if your stomach can tolerate it).  Start out with one piece of beef and see how you like it.  Both your stomach and your body will appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment