You can do all the workouts you want to try and lose weight/get muscular/etc. The only way you will see any permanent change is through your diet. Ten millions crunches a day will not get you that six-pack. It is your diet. The concept is the same as a car. The better you take care of it, the better it will run. Fueling with the best possible gas will give you the best possible results. While you can get very specific, you should follow these very basic principles.
1. Stay away from sugars!
- Refined sugars are the worst and will go straight to your fat stores. There is almost no reason to have any refined sugars in your diet.
2. Drink plenty of water.
- Many believe you should be drinking half your bodyweight in ounces of water. I try to go for at least a gallon of water a day. There are many reasons to drink lots of water. Water will flush your body of toxins, which none of us want in our bodies. Also, muscle grows efficiently in a hydrated environment. How will it get there?? Through drinking lots of water!
These are the two biggest rules that I see broken daily by everyone. Some other points to follow based on the paleo diet are:
- Do not eat grains or starches (like bread, pasta, noodles, potatoes)
- Do not eat beans or legumes (including string beans, kidney beans, peanuts, peas)
- Avoid dairy
Items to eat are:
- Fruits and vegetables
- Meat, Chicken, Fish
- Nuts (Not peanuts or cashews)