Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Shoes

Shoes and your feet become a real important aspect of your lifestyle.  I could care less what they look like but I do care about how they function.  A bad pair of shoes can have a negative effect on your posture, which can affect your joints, muscles, balance, etc.   While working out, your shoe can make a certain lift more difficult by affecting posture and balance as I found out during a recent lifting session.  I had been wearing a pair of traditional nike basketball shoes.  Since they have a curved sole, on certain lifts, I found myself rolling forward on the balls of my feet instead of powering through the heels.

Now I can't tell you what shoe to wear because it really depends on the person.  When I lift now, I prefer to get myself as close to what nature intended as possible so I do not wear shoes.  If my Workout of the Day includes running, I will wear a pair of shoes since my running is outdoors and I don't know what I'll step in.  When running, I will want a pair of shoes that keep me on the balls of my feet to spring forward and promote proper running technique.  Regardless of the shoes you wear, if they start to wear out, replace them.  You don't want a part of the shoe rubbing against the back of your ankle or wearing out the sole to the point where you can see the ground underneath.  When starting out with a new pair of shoes, don't run long distances at first.  You're shoes will be stifBe smart and listen to your body.  If it feels uncomfortable....if you don't have good balance.....if your KNEES! start to bother you.....maybe it's time to look into a new pair of shoes.

Motivation: "Begin to be now what you will be hereafter." - William James

No comments:

Post a Comment